One of the easiest ways to grow your email mailing list is to encourage Mailchimp newsletter signup for all new members during the registration process.
Capture email at registration
Using the Chamber Dashboard Member Manager plugin and our Mailchimp plugin, you can easily add a Mailchimp newsletter signup option to your membership form. Visit our documentation page for details.
Add a signup form to your WordPress site
Another option is to add a newsletter signup form in the footer or sidebar of your website. For this you will need both a forms plugin and a Mailchimp addon. Below we’ll walk you thru the steps to add a form to your site’s footer using the free Formidable Forms plugin and paid Formidable Mailchimp addon to connect to your Mailchimp account.
Install Formidable Forms
From your WordPress dashboard:
- Go to Plugins >> Add New.
- Do a search for Formidable Forms.
- Install & activate the plugin.
Create a newsletter signup form
- Go to Formidable >> Add New.
- Create a newsletter signup form with name and email fields only.
- Go to Appearance >> Widgets and add the Formidable widget to your site’s footer.
Connect your form to Mailchimp newsletter signup
Create a Mailchimp API key for WordPress
First you will need an API from your Mailchimp account in order to send submissions from your form to your Mailchimp email list. To create an API key:
- Login to your Mailchimp account.
- Click on ‘Profile’ under your name.
- Under ‘Extras’, click on ‘API keys’.
- Click on the ‘Create a key’ button to generate a key.
- Return to your site’s dashboard.
- Go to Formidable >> Add-Ons and upgrade to connect your Formidable form to your Mailchimp account.
- Once you have the Formidable Mailchimp Addon installed & activated:
- Go to Formidable → Global Settings → MailChimp.
- Add your MailChimp API Key here and click ‘update options’.
- Then open your newsletter form.
- Go to Settings → Actions & Notifications → MailChimp.
- Here you can connect the fields of your form to the corresponding fields of your Mailchimp list.
- Get more detail about setup of specific Formidable Form Fields.
- How to setup Formidable Forms email notifications.
Test your setup
Once the newsletter signup form on your site is connected to your Mailchimp email list, it’s a good idea to test your setup by filling out the form on your site and then logging in to your Mailchimp account to make sure your email was added.