Pro Tip: In order to display maps in your directory, you’ll need to create a Google Maps API key. Listings created before you have entered your Google Maps API key may not display correctly.
Import Business via CSV file
The Business Directory plugin includes a free CSV import tool that you can use to import an existing set of businesses right into your Directory from a CSV file. Categories and membership levels can also be imported and connected to Business listings during this process.
Import Categories & Membership Levels via CSV
Business Categories & Membership Levels will be imported and added to your site if they do not already exist in your database.
NOTE: Data will not be overwritten. This may result in duplicate entries. We recommend deleting any previous test data before importing your Business listings.
NOTE: Google Maps now requires an API key to display Google Maps on your website. Listings created before you have entered your Google Maps API key may not display correctly. We recommend installing your API key BEFORE uploading your Business CSV file.
Arrange your business records to match the following columns.
Note: Your CSV file must have the following columns in the following order, even if some of the columns are empty*:
- Business Name
- Category (separate multiple with semicolons)
- Membership Level (separate multiple with semicolons)
- Location Name
- Business Hours
- Phone (separate multiple with semicolons)
- Email (separate multiple with semicolons)
*Column headers must match the sample CSV. – Download a sample CSV file of Business listings here.
Save your File in CSV format.
Go to Chamber Dashboard >> Directory Import.
Click on ‘Choose File’, select your CSV file, then Click ‘Upload & Import’.
Import Business Categories Only
To import a list of Business Categories:
- Go to Chamber Dashboard >> CD Settings >> Import/Export.
- Download a sample CSV file.
- Delete all the records in the sample CSV except Hale’s Ales Brewery.
- Enter all categories for import in the category cell for Hale’s. Separate your categories with a semicolon.
- Save the file as in CSV format.
- Go to Chamber Dashboard >> CD Settings >> Import/Export to import your updated file.
- Go to Businesses to delete Hale’s Ales Brewery.
- Go to Businesses >> Business Categories to see your imported categories.
Import Parent-Child Categories
In order to create parent-child categories for your Business Directory, you must first import all of the categories you’d like to use. You can do this during the CSV import of Businesses as detailed above, or you can ‘import Business categories only’. (also detailed above)
Either way, multiple categories can be imported by separating them with a semicolon.
Once your Business categories have been imported, you will need to manually set the parent-child hierarchy.
- Import Business Categories. (see options above)
- Go to Businesses >> Business Categories in your site’s dashboard.
- Edit a category, select a parent category. For the example below, ‘bakery’ is the child of the ‘restaurant’ category.
- Be sure to save your changes.
Now you can use the
[business_category format="grid"] shortcode to display your categories in parent-child layout.
Add New Directory Listings Manually
- From your WordPress dashboard, go to Businesses >> Add New.
- In the first field, labeled “Enter title here”, enter the name of the business.
- Under the title is a large content box. Enter a description of the business. You can use the row of buttons at the top of the box to format your text.
Next you will see a box labeled “Locations.” Here is where you enter the address and contact information for the business, and you can enter separate information for each location (if the business has multiple locations). All of these fields are optional.
The available fields are:
- Location Name
- Do Not Display – if you want a location not to display to the public on the website, you can check this box
- Web address (be sure to include “http://”)
- Phone Number. You can enter multiple phone numbers. To add additional numbers, click the “Add Another Phone Number” button. For each phone number, you can also designate what kind of phone number it is. The default options are “Office, Main, Cell”. You can change the options on the Chamber Dashboard Settings page.
- Email Address. You can enter multiple email addresses. To add additional email addresses, click the “Add Another Email Address” button. For each phone number, you can also designate what kind of phone number it is. The default options are “Main, Sales, Accounting, HR”. You can change the options on the Chamber Dashboard Settings page.
Logo and Featured Image
To upload the business’s logo, scroll down to the box labeled “Logo” and click “Select Image.” Drag and drop an image from your computer into the browser, or select an image from your WordPress media library, and click “Insert.”
You can also set a featured image for the Business. To do so, find the box labeled “Featured Image” in the right sidebar. Click on “Set Featured Image.” Drag and drop an image from your computer into the browser, or select an image from your WordPress media library, and click “Insert.”
There is a section labeled “Notes” where you can keep internal notes about a business. These notes will never be displayed publicly on the site, so they are just there for your private use.
You might want to write custom excerpts for your businesses. When your businesses are displayed on the business listings pages, they will by default show the excerpt instead of the full description. If you do not enter a custom excerpt, then the first few words of your description will be displayed (the number of words displayed will vary depending on what theme you are using).
To enter a custom excerpt, look for a box labeled “Excerpt.” If you do not see one, then scroll to the top of the page. In the top right corner, click on “Screen Options.” When you do, a new set of options will appear. Check the box next to “Excerpt.” Then scroll down to the bottom of the screen, and you will see the “Excerpt” box. You can enter your custom excerpt there.
Add Categories Manually
To add categories to your Business Directory, from your WordPress dashboard, go to Businesses >> Business Categories.
Add Membership Levels Manually
To add member benefits / levels / perks to your Business Directory, you will first need to install the free Member Manager plugin. Once Member Manager has been activated, here are the steps to manually add membership levels to both your membership form and your member benefits page.
More Import / Export Options
Business Directory listings can be imported from CSV file as discussed above. Business Directory listings can also be exported for monthly reporting. One or more contacts can be imported and connected to a Business Directory listing. See all options for importing & exporting Chamber Dashboard data.
If your data gets imported, but is scrambled up or not showing up in the correct column:
Delete all imported Business Listings.
Check your column mapping. Be sure that you have the exact same columns & column names as the sample file.
Check your formatting. Different programs format CSV files differently. If your CSV file is not recognized by WordPress – ie, data appears all scrambled up, try one of the following:
- Create a Google Drive datasheet, enter your data, export from Gdrive to CSV
- Open your file in Excel for Word, then save to CSV
- Save your file to CSV using a text editor
- Save your file to CSV using Open Office
Hint: WordPress doesn’t seem to like the formatting of Excel for Mac files. We recommend using one of the methods above to create your CSV file.
Maps not showing
If your maps are not showing or your map markers are not in the right place:
Google Maps now requires an API key to display Google Maps on your website. Your map markers will only show if you have entered your Google Maps API key on the Chamber Dashboard settings page. If you uploaded your CSV file before installing your API key and your Business listings are not showing up correctly, you can either:
- Manually update individual Business listings one at a time, by opening & clicking ‘update’.
- Delete your imported listings, install your API key and then re-import your listings.
Not all Businesses Getting Imported
If only part of your CSV file is getting imported, it may be that the script is timing out. Check with your website hosting company to see if you can extend the PHP execution limit.