Display Business Directory
Shortcode to activate Business Directory
To display your full Business Directory on your site, create a new page. Then, in the content area for that page, add the following shortcode:
Publish your page, then view to see your Directory! Each Business is automatically linked to an individual listing page with more details about the Business. For a more SEO-Friendly Directory, invite your members to regularly update their own listings.
Connect the Business Directory to individual listings
Note: If you are having trouble viewing the Single Business Listing, try going to Settings >>Permalinks and simply click ‘Save’.
By default, this shortcode will display a list of all of your businesses on one page. It will show the name, logo, and excerpt of each business, and the name and logo will link to a page that displays details about that business. You can change this display by adding parameters to the shortcode. You can use as many or as few of these parameters as you need. The available parameters* are:
Determine the format/layout of the business directory page. (See more formatting options)
- list – default
- grid2 – displays businesses in a 2-column format
- grid3 – displays businesses in a 3-column format
- grid4 – displays businesses in a 4-column format
Note: *The following parameters currently only work with:
We are in the process of adding some of them to the
Limit the page to display only a certain category or categories. Put a comma-separated list of categories you wish to display. You need to use the category slug, which is usually the category name, all in lower case, with dashes instead of commas. For example, a category called “Restaurants and Eateries” will probably have a slug of “restaurants-and-eateries.” To find out for sure what the category slug is, go to Businesses –> Business Category. That page lists all of your categories, and also shows the slug for each category.
[business_directory category="restaurants-and-eateries, coffee-shops"]
Limit the page to display only a certain membership level or levels. Put a comma-separated list of membership levels you wish to display. You need to use the membership level slug, which is usually the membership level name, all in lower case, with dashes instead of commas. For example, a membership level called “World-Class Supporters” will probably have a slug of “world-class-supporters.” To find out for sure what the membership level slug is, go to Businesses –> Membership Level. That page lists all of your membership levels, and also shows the slug for each membership level.
[business_directory level="world-class-supporters, small-potatoes-supporters"]
Limit the page to display only a certain membership status or statuses. Put a comma-separated list of membership statusesyou wish to display. You need to use the membership status slug, which is usually the membership level name, all in lower case, with dashes instead of commas. For example, a membership status called “Will Join Soon” will probably have a slug of “will-join-soon.” To find out for sure what the membership level slug is, go to Businesses –> Membership Statuses. That page lists all of your membership statuses, and also shows the slug for each membership status.
[business_directory status="current, small-potatoes-supporters"]
Determine whether you want to display the excerpt or the full text of the business description.
- excerpt – default, displays a short excerpt of the description, or the custom excerpt if you have entered one
- description – displays the entire description (the text entered in the main content area)
- none – displays no text
Determine what additional information to display about each business.
- location_name – display the names of all locations
- address – display the addresses of all locations
- url – display the web address of all locations
- phone – display the phone number(s) of all locations
- email – display the email address(es) of all locations
- category – display the category or categories the business is in
- level – display the business’s membership level
- social_media – display the business’s social media links
[business_directory display="url, email, category"]
Determine whether the business name and logo link to a page displaying more detail about the business. The link will automatically display by default, but if you don’t want there to be a link, you can turn it off. If you do this, it means that visitors to your site will not be able to find the single business page.
- yes – default
- no – turns off the link
The pagination shortcode will help you set the number of businesses that display on the page. By default, all of the businesses will display, but if you have a lot of businesses, the page might take a very long time to load. Adding the “perpage” parameter will display that number of businesses per page, with pagination links to view more.
Determine the order in which the businesses appear.
- name – default, businesses are ordered alphabetically
- date – businesses are ordered by the date they were entered into the directory
- modified – businesses are ordered by the date they were last modified
- menu_order – businesses are ordered by the custom menu order. To set a menu order for businesses, edit each business. In the right sidebar is a box labeled “Page Attributes”, with a field for “menu order.” Put a number in that field, and that will determine the order in which they appear.
- rand – businesses are ordered randomly. Every time someone visits the page, they will be in a different order.
Determine whether the order is ascending or descending.
- asc – default, order from smallest to largest (or, if ordering by date, order with oldest first)
- desc – order from largest to smallest (or, if ordering by date, order with newest first0
Determine what image to display
- logo – default, displays the business logo
- featured – displays the featured image
- none – no image
Default Featured Image
Set a default featured image for Business Directory listings
Setting a default featured image for your Business Directory listings can be a great way to encourage your members to update their listing. Since member updated listings tend to be more robust and complete, we recommend encouraging your members to update their listings as soon as they have joined your organization!
To add a default featured image for all listings that do not have a featured image, go to Chamber Dashboard >> Directory Settings and upload the image you would like to show.
Add Search Feature
The Chamber Dashboard Business Directory plugin offers a variety of search features to make it easier than ever for your members to get connected, including: keyword search, A-Z search, filter by category search and more. See search feature options.
Members Update their Own Listings
Try our Member Updater plugin to add a ‘claim your listing’ feature for your members to update their own listings.
Automatically create new listings in your Business Directory every time a new member joins by adding an online payment option with our free Member Manager plugin.
Connect to Mailchimp at signup
Add your members to your Mailchimp list during the registration process with our Mailchimp plugin!
Display Member Benefits
Display benefits of joining your organization to encourage new members to join with our free Member Manger plugin.
Business Directory not showing up on website
Use the Business Directory shortcode to link your Directory to your website.