Required Plugins: Business Directory / Member Manager
Setup Online Payments
How the membership form works
When combined with the Business Directory plugin, the Member Manager plugin makes it easy to receive new member payments right from your WordPress website. The membership form connects to the Business Directory to automatically create new listings, PLUS:
- New Business members can sign up and pay for their membership right from your website.
- Display member benefits on your site .
- Automatically create a new Business listing when the membership form is submitted.
- New invoice automatically created to track member payments.
- Track renewal dates right from your Business Directory.
- Keep your Directory up-to-date by removing lapsed members from display.
Member application form setup
Step 1 – Create & display Membership Levels
- Go to Businesses >> Membership Levels.
- Create a Membership Level for each tier of benefits that you offer to your members.
Note: Membership Levels will automatically populate to your membership form.
- Display Member Benefits on your website:
- Create a new page called ‘Member Benefits’.
- Add the shortcode –
- Publish the page.
Step 2 – Set Currency
- Go to the Chamber Dashboard main settings page to enter Currency details. Defaults to U.S. Dollar. (Chamber Dashboard >> CD Settings >> Directory)
Step 3 – Connect to Paypal
- Go to Chamber Dashboard >> CD Settings >> Payments.
Enter the email address for your Paypal account. Membership payments will be sent to this account.
- NOTE: A Paypal Business account is required.
- Additional customizations found on the Member Manager Options page include:
- Customize invoice header & footer.
- Add a suggested donation amount to your membership form
(this field is optional for the new member).
- Include a processing fee on the membership form.
- Collect tax from your membership form.
Step 4 – Save your Permalinks
- Go to Settings >> Permalinks – Click ‘Save’
That’s it! Your membership form has been created. This form will use fields from the Business Directory plus the information you have just entered to generate your membership form.
Display the Membership Form on your site
- Create a new page – (Pages >> Add New).
- Click the ‘+’ to add a block, search for ‘membership form’.
- Click ‘Publish’.
- Add your new page to your site’s navigation menu.
You can now accept new member payments right from your website!
Go to the Chamber Dashboard main settings page to enter Currency details. (Chamber Dashboard >> CD Settings >> Directory) – Defaults to U.S. Dollar.
Membership form payment options
The Member Manager plugin processes payments for your Business Directory. Currently the only payment gateway available is PayPal. If you’d like to use additional payment gateways such as Stripe, Amazon Pay, Authorize.net, Square, etc. – our WC Payments plugin may be a good fit for your organization.
Member Manager works best with a Paypal Business account with the Auto Return feature activated.
- How to setup a free Paypal Business account.
- How to setup Paypal’s Auto Return feature or Paypal Auto Return for Website Payments
- How to accept credit cards with Paypal checkout
What fees does Paypal charge?
Additional Payment Gateways
Using the free Member Manager plugin, you will need to connect to Paypal (see above) in order to accept online payments from your site. Connect to additional payment gateways by upgrading to the WC Payments plugin.
Disable check payments
To remove check payments from the membership form:
- Go to Chamber Dashboard >> CD Settings >> Payments, scroll to ‘Membership Form Fields’ and select the option to remove check payments from the membership form.
- Be sure to save your changes.
Customize New Member Email Notifications
Email Notifications for Paypal Payments
When a new member fills out the membership form and completes Paypal payment:
- A notification email is sent to the admin listed under Chamber Dashboard >> CD Settings >> Payments.
- Paypal sends a receipt to your new member.
Once you have approved and published the new listing to your Directory, you may want to let the new member know that it has been published by sending them a link to their new listing.
Email Notifications for Check Payments
When a new member fills out the membership form and chooses the check payment option:
- The new member is redirected to their invoice.
- The new member receives an email notification with a link to their invoice.
- The admin email receives an email notification that a new member has joined and opted to pay by check.
Display Member Benefits
Setup & display member benefits on your site
- Create membership levels – With the Member Manger plugin installed, go to Businesses >> Membership Levels, to enter information about the benefits of joining your organization at each membership level.
- Display member benefits on your website by creating a new page, adding the shortcode –
[membership_levels]– and publishing the page.
- Add membership levels to new member form – the membership levels you created above will automatically be displayed on your new member form and your renewals form.
Display member benefits in a pricing table.
Member benefits can be displayed on a page as shown below, or in a Pricing Table format. Follow this link for Pricing Table install options.
Reorder membership levels
You can order membership levels within the shorcode: Parameters are: name (alphabetical), count (the membership levels with the most members will be at the top) and priority.
To determine level priority, go to Chamber Dashboard -> Rank Membership Levels and drag and drop to reorder them.
Reorder Membership Levels
To set the priority of your membership levels on both the member benefits page and the membership form, go to Businesses >> Rank Membership Levels.
Automate Renewal Process
By adding the Recurring Payments plugin to Member Manager, you can automatically send membership renewal reminders based on Membership Renewal Date shown in the Business listing.