Chamber Inspired WordPress Theme Documentation
Thank you for choosing the Chamber Inspired theme! We hope it will inspire you to create an amazing new site for your organization.
Here are instructions to help you get the theme set up quickly. If you still have questions after reviewing this documentation, please open a support ticket and we’ll right back to you!
Welcome to the Chamber Inspired theme! This is a WordPress theme which means that there are all sorts of ways to tailor this theme to perfectly suit your Chamber or membership organization’s needs. We have documented many of them below. If your goal is to simply get up and running as fast as possible…we recommend starting here:
Please note that several features on the demo site require the recommended plugins to be installed and activated. These plugins add awesome features to your site, plus they are free. So go ahead…take them for a spin!
Installing your theme is pretty straightforward. After purchase, you will receive an email download file: chamber-inspired.zip. This is a compressed file containing all of the required templates, images and icons required for the theme to function properly.
Upload the theme
- Go to Appearance > Themes in the WordPress Dashboard.
- Click on the Add New button.
- Click Upload Theme.
- Select the
- Click Install Now.
Activate the theme
- Go to Appearance > Themes in the WordPress menu.
- Hover over the theme thumbnail and press the Activate button.
Activate your license
Go to Appearance >> Theme License to enter and activate your license key. An active license gets you access to theme updates and support. Be sure to follow all three activation steps:
- Enter license key
- Click ‘Save Changes’
- Click ‘Activate License’
The Chamber Inspired theme supports from 1-3 header images. The layout will automatically adjust based on the number of images uploaded. The layout will also automatically adjust for display on mobile devices.
- Go to Appearance > Customize > Theme Options >> Home Page Banner Images.
- Click on Change Image to upload.
- Be sure to click Publish to save your changes!
You can upload up to 3 images to be used in the home page banner. If you upload just 1 image, it will take up the full width of the banner area; 2 images will each take up half; and 3 images will each take up a third.
The number of images that are displayed is controlled by the number of images you load. The default number of images is 3.
For example, to display only one image, you must REMOVE Images #2 and #3 below and then upload an appropriately sized image for Image #1.
Recommended image sizes:
1 image – 1248px x 540px
2 images – 609px x 540px
3 images – 406px x 540px
Set a custom home page for WordPress
WordPress defaults to set your blog page as your home page.
To select a static page to be your home page instead:
- First go to Pages & create a new page.
- Then go to Appearance > Customize > Home Page Settings.
- Set the front page to display a Static Page.
- Select the page you created from the dropdown.
- This page will now be displayed as the home page of your site.
Hint: The demo site only uses the page title and 2 lines of text for the home page.
Social Media Connections
To connect site visitors to your social media and email, add links to the Top Bar of your site:
- Go to Appearance > Customize > Social Links Top Bar.
- Enter links to your organization’s social media pages
For your convenience, we have included some automatic obfuscation to protect your email from being harvested by spam bots.
Featured Sections of Home Page
There are 3 feature areas of the home page. Each section must be activated from your Customizer before it will display. To activate, go to Customize >> Theme Options >> Optional Home Page Sections.
Display Featured Services
The Services Section should be activated by default. To update this section, go to Customize >> Widgets >> Home Page Services Section.
Here you can change the icon, update the title & description and link the widget to an interior page of your website. Be sure to click ‘Publish’ to save your changes!
Once you have activated the Featured Events Section, you will need to install & activate the free Chamber Dashboard Events so that you can create some new events to be displayed on the home page.
- Go to Appearance >> Install Plugins to install the Events Calendar plugin.
- Go to Events >> Add New to create some new events. Be sure to include a featured image!
- Go to Customize >> Widgets >> Home Page Featured Events to select which events will be displayed on the home page. Click on ‘Add Widget’ and add CD Event List to the widget area.
- Be sure to click ‘Publish’ to save your changes!
The Chamber Inspired theme gives you the option to create a rotating display logos to recognize featured sponsors, new members, top donors, etc., right on your home page. This feature requires installation of an additional plugin. But don’t worry, the plugin is free.
To activate the Featured Logos option:
- Go to Appearance > Customize > Additional Theme Options.
- Check Show Featured Logos.
- Enter a headline for your Featured Logos area.
- Install the Client Logo Carousel plugin by: Aftab Husain
- Upload your logos – they will automatically display on your home page
The footer widget area uses Flexbox coding to dynamically resize based on the number of widget areas you add widgets to.
To add footer widgets:
- Go to Appearance > Customize > Widgets.
- Add 1 or more widgets to up to 4 footer sidebars, the footer sidebar layout will adjust automatically.
- Be sure to click ‘Save & Publish’ to save your updates.
The footer options area defaults to copyright text, including the year and the site name. You may replace this with your own text.
Add Logo: Go to Appearance > Customize > Site Identity to upload your logo.
Site Title: If logo is not used, Site Title will be displayed.
Favicon: Add a Site Icon under Appearance > Customize > Site Identity.
Site Colors: Go to Appearance > Customize > Colors to set the accent color.
Excerpt Display: By default, WordPress will show the first 55 words of your post as an Excerpt. To display different text as your Excerpt, use the Excerpt box in the post editor.
Featured Image: The Featured Image of your post will be displayed on your blog summary page and at the top of the individual blog post. To hide the Featured Image from individual posts…
Chamber Beautiful offers 4 page templates.
- Default Template – Displays content area with sidebar, if populated. Displays Regular Width page if sidebar is not populated.
- Regular Width Page – No sidebar, displays content using 3/4 of the width of the site.
- Full Width Page – No sidebar, displays content using the full width of the site.
- Contact Page – uses the contact sidebar.
Setup a Blog / Chamber News page
Having a news page is a great way to share a quick summary of all of your posts with your members, so they can easily click thru to the stories that they are most interested in. To create a blog page:
- Go to Pages and create a new page.
- Give your page a title, like ‘Blog’ or ‘News’, click ‘Publish’ to save your changes.
- Go to Settings >> Reading.
- Set your Posts page to the page you just created and save changes.
- Go to Appearance >> Menu to add your new page to your navigation.
That’s it! Every time you create a new post, it will show up on your News page.
Go to Customize >> Theme Options >> Layout Options to set the layout of your blog page.
By default, WordPress will use the pages you create for your navigation. Usually, when you activate a theme you will see all the pages that you have created as navigation / menu items. Visit the menus area of the dashboard to create a custom menu, with the combination of custom links, pages, categories specific to your organization.
Set up Custom Menu
- Go to Appearance > Menus.
- Click on Create a new menu link.
- Give your menu a name, click Create Menu button to save your changes.
- Now you can add pages, categories, custom links from the left-hand side of your screen by selecting the checkbox and clicking on Add Menu.
- Check ‘Primary’ to set the menu as the main menu for the site.
- To use this same menu on both desktops and mobile devices, also check the ‘Mobile’ option.
- Be sure to click Save Menu to save your changes!
If you would like to create a different menu to be used only on mobile devices, repeat steps 1-4 above only instead of checking ‘Primary’ for the display location, select ‘Mobile.’
Add Membership Features
The Chamber Inspired theme was written for merchants associations, professional organizations, chambers of commerce, artist councils, etc. Chamber Dashboard also offers a variety of plugins to make it super easy to add membership features to your site!
Add a searchable directory of member Business listings to your site. Make it easy for your members to find and do business with each other.
Online Member Registration
The Member Manager plugin lets your members sign up and renew memberships right from your website. A new listing is automatically created in your Directory each time a new member fills out the Join Now form.
Our free CRM plugin creates a shared contact management database so that your staff can track member contacts and activity information.
Create a community resource that will bring new visitors to your site & encourage them to return again and again.
Members Login to Edit their own Directory Listing
Want to give your members the option to update their own Directory Listings?