Adding WC Payments to Member Manager to connect to additional payment gateways
Using the free Member Manager plugin, an invoice is created to track new member & renewal payments.
When you add the WC Payments plugin, a WooCommerce order will now be created to track member payments. Orders are paid via the new payment gateway that you setup in WooCommerce. (Invoices will still be created, but they are for tracking purposes only.)
Existing invoices generated by the Member Manager plugin before you added WC Payments will need to be paid thru Paypal or recreated. The recommended process to generate a new order for member renewal is to complete the renewal form from the front-end of your site. Do not manually create orders.
When payment is received, the Paypal Transaction ID will be recorded on the invoice and the Membership Renewal Date will be automatically updated in the Business listing.
When a new member joins via the membership form, or when the renewal form on your site is completed or when the Recurring Payments plugin generates new renewal reminders, these will be created as WooCommerce orders and require payment to be processed thru the new payment gateway(s) that you have setup in WooCommerce.
Recommended Update Process Step-by-Step
We recommend creating a clone of your site, activating WC Payments on the clone, and running some tests to get familiar with WooCommerce orders BEFORE doing the update on your live site.
NOTE: Be sure to set the Recurring Payments to pause mode on the clone so no reminders are sent out while you are testing.
Recommended steps to update:
- Create a clone (exact copy) of your site to practice on.
- Set the Recurring Payments plugin to pause mode on the clone.
- Install WC Payments & WooCommerce.
- Run a test for every scenario of membership payments, new member, renewing member, payment of existing invoice with WC Payments installed.
- Record the process from the user perspective in case you need to answer member questions.
- Record the updates to your admin / record keeping process.
- Once you are comfortable with the changes:
- Make a full backup of your live site.
- Put your live site in maintenance mode so that you do not have members interacting with your site while you are trying to update.
- Install WC Payments & WooCommerce on the live site.
- Test again.
- Take your site out of maintenance mode.
NOTE: It is usually a good idea to keep your Paypal account open until all delinquent invoices have been actually paid, manually marked paid or deleted.
Cleaning up delinquent invoices
This can be a good time to clean up unpaid invoices by deleting them or marking them as ‘paid’, updating the Membership Renewal Date in the Business listing and then using the Recurring Payments plugin to generate a new orders when renewals are due.
NOTE: If you are manually generating invoices for items other than memberships, you will need to create WooCommerce products and a product page to sell these items. The WC Payments plugin connects to the Member Manager plugin for membership levels only.
Onboarding for WC Payments
In order for WC Payments to process renewal reminders, the Business record, People record and user must be connected. This happens automatically when a new member submits the membership form.
However, if you have uploaded Business listings with a CSV file or manually created Business records, each Business will need to be connected to a People record and a WordPress user so that they are able to renew their membership.
This can be done manually:
- First create a WordPress user
- Then create a People record
- From the People record, you can connect both the Business and the user.
The easiest way to create these connections is to use the Member Updater registration form. When a member completes the registration form, they will select a Business to be connected to.
The form will automatically create & connect both a People record and a user record.
Both the site admin and the Business owner will be notified so that no unauthorized users are given permission to edit Business records.
The People record will need to be published before the member can edit their Business listing or make renewal payments.